Persistent Organic Pollutants Assignment Due Mon, Apr 27th
Use the following to help you with your research:
Persistent Organic Pollutants (POP)
- What are POP’s? Why are they an environmental and human health hazard?
For each POP, answer the following:
- What is the chemical structure? Formula?
- What kind of a chemical is it? (Chemical characteristics)
- Where and when is/was it produced and used?
- What was the purpose of using the chemical? Why is it still being used?
- Why is it still being used? (Production and Use)
- What are its effects on plants, people, and other animals? (Exposure and Effects)
- How long does it persist in the environment?
- Does it pose an acute and/or chronic hazard to humans? If it does, explain.
- Does it bioaccumulate?
Persistent Organic Pollutants (POP) and Organ Systems
Choose one of the Persistent Organic Pollutants and research its effects on human health by answering the following questions in paragraph form.
- How can humans be exposed to the chemical?
- How does it affect human health? Choose an organ system that this chemical attacks. What types of disease(s) does it cause? What are the acute and chronic effects of the disease(s)?
- How does this chemical enter (routes of exposure) the organ system? What are the effects on that system? Which organs does it attack in the system you chose? What are the systemic and local effects?
- How likely is it to cause cellular damage? Mutations? Cancer? Explain how this occurs?
- Is there a medical test to show whether someone has been exposed to the chemical?
- What kinds of tests are being done to study the effects of the chemical?
- What kind of recommendations has the Federal Government made to protect human health from this chemical? (Make sure that you include information about the legislation involved)
- Discuss a case study where (a) this chemical created a hazardous situation and (b) How was this issue resolved?
- Citations of sources are required.